The origin of Union State Bank dates all the way back to 1928 in Florence, Texas when three banks; Florence State Bank, Brigg's State Bank, and Farmer's State Bank merged in an effort to weather the Great Depression. This union created a small town bank that not only survived, it thrived for 80 years.
Florence State Bank (circa 1928)
Originally, Union State Bank served the rural areas surrounding the town of Florence. However, the 1990's brought about unprecedented growth that resulted in the opening of four new branches; Killeen in 1990, Georgetown in 1993, Round Rock in 1997, Liberty Hill in 1997 and Harker Heights in 2006. Amid the rapid growth and development of Bell and Williamson Counties, Union State Bank evolved into a full service financial institution that serves both urban and rural communities.
In September of 1955, Roy J. Smith, President of First National Bank in Killeen, and B. M. "Bernie" Beck acquired Union State Bank. Mr. Beck bought controlling interest of the bank in 1972. Since then, the B. M. "Bernie" Beck family has owned the majority interest in Union State Bank and continues to be key figures in the day to day operations and the direction of the bank. Eula "Sis" Beck serves as the Chairwoman of the Board while her daughter, Coleen Beck, serves as President and, CEO, and Vice-Chairwoman of the Board.